23 Finalist has been selected by The Film Development Council of the Philippines for the three categories of Sineng Pambansa National Film Competition. The categories are Full Length Feature where 13 stories made it, 7 for the Documentary category and 3 for Animation.
According to FDCP, the finalists will be awarded seed money worth P600,000 to finish their films and proceed to Sineng Pambansa National Film Festival to be held in Davao City sometime this June 2012.
It is organized by the FDCP in partnership with the City Government of Davao.
The finalists for the full-length feature category are:
- Ang Mga Kidnapper ni Ronnie Lazaro, Sigfried Barros-Sanchez from Metro Manila;
- Pauwi Na, Jose Paulo Villaluna, Manila and Bicol;
- Qwerty, Eduardo Lejano Jr., Manila;
- Anac Ti Pating, Martin Masadao, Kalinga;
- Kanana Kanu, Jocelyn Banasan-Kapuno, Benguet;
- Ang Mga Aswang, John Raymund Macahilas, Iloilo;
- Beadworks, Ronny Poblacion, Iloilo;
- Gugma Sang Panahon Sang Bakunawa, Peter Solis Nery, Iloilo;
- Tambara, Orvil Bantayan, Davao;
- Duwaya (Polygamy), Najib Alyhar Benito-Zacaria, Marawi;
- Malan, Agustin Pagusara Jr., Davao;
- In Banka Halit Sin Duwa Sapah, Fyred Alsad Alfad III, Jolo, Sulu;
- Qiyamah, Gutierrez Mangansakan II, Maguindanao.
The finalists for the Documentary are:
- Jingle Lang ang Pahinga, Dominador Escasa Jr., Tagaytay;
- Illustrated by, Levi “Pepper” Marcelo, Manila;
- Martial Law Stories, Jose Lorenzo Diokno, Manila;
- Walay Tumo’y ng Punterya (No End in Sight), Cierlito Espejo Tabay, Cebu;
- and Ginabuhi It Bulig (Binubuhay ng Pagtulong), Lester Babiera, Aklan;
- Tagurih: The Kites of Sulu, Dempster Samarista, Sulu;
- Married to Danger, Sheron Dayoc, Zamboanga.
The finalists in the Animation category are:
- Katalina, Jose Ramon del Prado, Taguig;
- Kalon, Blecyrezza Piluden, Baguio;
- Ceiling, Danilo Montano of Holy Cow Animation Inc., Manila.
“I’m happy to note that some of the finalists come as far north as Kalinga and Benguet, and as far south as Davao, Marawi and Jolo, which means that the region-based filmmakers are now contributing their outstanding talent and creativity to the making of a true Sineng Pambansa or National Cinema,” Chairman Briccio Santos said in an interview.
Jury Members of the Competition will be composed of big people from different film festivals around the Globe.
For the First Sineng Pambansa National Film Festival, the Jury members are Paolo Bertolin (Adviser Venice Film Festival), Kim Ji-Seok (Executive Programmer of Busan Int’l Film Festival), Sabrina Baracetti (President of Udine Asian Film Festival) and Christian Mérer (Cultural Councelor, Embassy of France in Manila).